View Single Post
Old 09-19-13, 04:19 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3237 Post(s)
Liked 2,082 Times in 1,180 Posts
Originally Posted by cleansheet
My rule of thumb is if the roads are clear, road bike. If the roads are wet, salt-covered or dirty, cyclecross bike. Road bike requires more attention and more frequesnt cleaning, so I try to avoid getting it dirty. Cross bike is much more foregiving if I don't wipe it down after a ride.
This one had me puzzled. Is there some magical properties to a CC bike that makes it more suitable to riding in the crud ?. Other then larger tires and clearance for same, the frame might be the same material as a road bike, the components are probably the same, headsets, hubs, b-bracket, etc.... all from road component groups.

So how is it a cyclo-cross bike is better able to withstand the crap that winter roads throw at you versus a road bike ?. Granted that the larger tires are better suited to sketchy surface conditions, with the knobbies useful in sand and/or snow, but other then that, I'm not seeing it.