Old 09-21-13, 01:20 PM
ka0use

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka
First of all ... take a few bicycle mechanics classes. I took an introductory bicycle mechanics class focusing on doing on-the-road emergency repairs, and then a different intermediate class on a variety of topics. I had the chance to take a 12 week course, but couldn't get there in time for the classes because of my work schedule and because the classes were on the other side of the city, and I regret that a bit. If the opportunity comes up again, I think I might take the classes.

You say you have limited technical abilities/skill/knowledge ... well, you'll increase your problem solving options by increasing your technical abilities/skill/knowledge.

Secondly, make sure your bicycle is in good repair before you begin your tour ... or any long ride out into the middle of nowhere for that matter. You'll reduce the chances of something bad happening to your bicycle if you've taken steps to make sure it is robust.

Thirdly, bring appropriate tools. Your bicycle mechanics classes will help with this. With skills and knowledge and the right tools, you'll be able to deal with most issues you encounter.

[HR][/HR]

The worst mechanical I've had was a seized freehub. Fortunately, the final seize happened about 5 km from the place my cycling partner and I were staying that night (Rowan's place, as it happens), and fortunately the road to Rowan's place at the time was downhill enough that I was able to coast in.

If it had happened earlier that day, there is a way my cycling partner and I could have rigged something up so that I could pedal, or I would have simply walked up every hill and coasted down the other side. It would have been a very slow process!

However, I have learned to recognise the symptoms. When a second freehub was on its way to seizing, I knew that was the problem and was able to solve it before it became a significant issue.
i just signed up for a cable class at a local co-op, $20. i feel it a bargain for derailers, which is all i need.