View Single Post
Old 09-24-13, 05:34 PM
Planemaker

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 5 Posts
She Came Home Today

Picked up my new Trek Domane 4.5 today (phone ran of juice so pictures will follow). I was able to take her out for a 35 mile test drive and I must say that the LBS got pretty close on the fitting, I am just a little bouncy at 92 rpm.

My 35 mile is a box that 10 miles by 7.5 miles with the long legs running north and south. The wind today was NW at 18 mph with gusts up to 25 mph. I started off a bit wobbly since I have not been on a road bike in years, other than test rides, but I was soon able to get the hang of it. The cross winds were so wicked that I was being moved all over the road (not sure if that is due to a lighter bike). I managed to average 17.9 mph while not even pushing it on the downwind legs of the ride, I even coasted down a hill at 26 mph. The ride quality, which is what the Domane is known for, was fantastic.

Lessons Learned:
1. I've got to learn to shift in the small ring (I got cross chained a couple of times), I have triple on my Fitness 7.4 and rarely leave the middle ring
2. Need to work on turning
3. I need to get a lot more miles in before I ride in the middle of a group (I will either be pulling or riding in the back)
4. I discovered a complete new muscle group while riding in the drops and I was not able to stay in the drops for a long time