Old 09-24-13, 08:06 PM
brianogilvie 
Commuter & cyclotourist

Bikes: Boulder All Road, Surly Long Haul Trucker, Bike Friday New World Tourist, Breezer Uptown 8, Bike Friday Express Tikit, Trek MultiTrack 730 (Problem? No, I don't have a problem)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sstorkel
I disagree: if you're riding two abreast, as the OP was, on a public road where you know that there is a significant amount of faster bicycle traffic then you're the dick. As others have stated, in this situation you should ride single file and as far to the right as is practical. In many places this is, in fact, the law.
Really? My impression was that riding side-by-side is permitted in most states, as long as it doesn't impede traffic; even Massachusetts changed the law in 2007 (we used to require single-file riding). Many states that permit riding side-by-side require cyclists to revert to single file if there is a vehicle that wishes to pass. One might argue, though, that the requirement applies only if the passing vehicle cannot safely pass while remaining entirely within the lane. If two cyclists are riding side by side and a third wishes to pass them, and there's plenty of room in the lane, I don't see a really good reason why they should shift to single file.

The OP did say that there were no cars in sight.