View Single Post
Old 09-26-13, 02:37 PM
mmeiser

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by hambertloot
I did another century this month. I have been doing about 2 a month, and every time I ride a century, around mile 70-75 I get really just emotional and have negative thoughts saying "i wish I was home, i have been out all day i just want to relax, this is dumb, etc" that kind of stuff. I go into the ride feeling amazing and loving the scenery and all that

how do you get into a better mindset? i try to think of other things but it doesnt help, and this is what is stopping me from completing longer events like double metrics and double centuries
I usually get this way about 3am when I do all night rides. It's what I love about ultra endurance cycling. It is as much about psychology as anything. I will often on long rides find I'mexperiencing a whole range of emotions from anger to despair. As soon as I identify them I use them often as fuel. I play with them, it's part of the game like pushing back the veil or pealing back the layers. I have found when riding alone through the night that a good 15 minute power nap will help, but I only pull that card if my mind and speed are starting to wander or my eyes are getting droopy. There is an issue of being able to stop of course. An all night winter ride or ride in the rain makes this impractical due cool down. I have stopped in all night diners, gas stations or other places. A favorite all nighter recovery is to stop in a laundromat and throw something in the wash and then dryer. A 45 and then 60 minute nap and I'm good for the day.

Another one many people use is music.It's a tremendous psychological booster. I used to listen to podcasts on obscure technical subject matter. Was glorious to be riding around the country in the middle of the night listening to someone tell about the latest android release or some new medical research. Awesome counterpoints.

These days I don't even bother much with music though I'm trying to bring back the podcast rides. I occasionally get the same song stuck in my head for hours or even days. Music would help there but I'm cool with it. It's fun to sing aloud when riding through the Canadian and Wyoming Rockies this last week doing the divide mountain bike route. In the dark, in the rain, to the bears and moosei have no musical talent whatsoever and any critter that encountered me might think me insane, but so what, maybe I am, but I'm enjoying myself.

Accept psychology as part of the game. It's at least as important as nutrition and hydration. Thus is the first step of psychological strength. It is also the first step of mechanical problems. You will break things. You will go through every imagkneable human emotion from euphoria to despair. Recognize it. Embrace it. Revel in it. Enjoy it as part of the experience. Embrace it.

Last edited by mmeiser; 09-26-13 at 03:24 PM. Reason: cirrected auto-correct errors. f'n autocorrect