View Single Post
Old 09-27-13, 10:02 AM
CliftonGK1

Bikes: '08 Surly Cross-Check, 2011 Redline Conquest Pro, 2012 Spesh FSR Comp EVO, 2015 Trek Domane 6.2 disc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
A funny equipment swapping story:
Seattle Cross Club runs a Valentine's race called Heart-Braker. The first year I decide to race it, the format was "TBA". So we all sign up our teams and get to the race venue only to be told that each two person team will trade off laps on the course, using one bike between the two racers (hand it off like the "baton" at the start line.)
Teams were already picked, so teams like mine with huge height discrepancies were at a distinct disadvantage. My teammate couldn't swing a leg over my 62cm frame without busting his nards, and I felt like a circus bear on a mini-bike riding his 54cm frame.
Top that off with his bike having different pedals; so I'm left scrambling about trying to find someone to trade shoes with who happens to 1. wear my size, 2. have the cleats I need, and 3. need the cleats I have! Astonishingly, I found someone exactly like that within a half size.
So I raced that day on someone else' bike which was 8cm too small, while wearing someone else' shoes which were a half size too small.