View Single Post
Old 10-02-13, 09:46 AM
MingusDew

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm also in the market for a new saddle, I really don't like the Prologo Kappa Evo that came on my CAAD10. I stopped by the Specialized LBS and tried out some of their saddles they had in stock. They measured me on their ass-o-meter to fit on a 143mm. The Romin was an improvement over the Kappa Evo, but by far I found the Toupé to be the most comfortable of the two. I've read the Romin runs narrow in comparison (so if you normally fit a 143, then a 155 would work better perhaps), but unfortunately they didnt have any 155's for me to try. I'll be going to another LBS later this week to try out some Fizik saddles. Based off their Spine-Concept I should be suited for the Arione, but we shall see ... In the end what works for me may not work for you, so you'll have to just ride them all and see which you like the most. Also, my Kappa Evo feels 'okay' for the first hour, but it doesnt' really bother me until about 45-60min into a ride. I've tried various adjustments with the Kappa Evo, but nothing has made the discomfort go away completely. I actually have the most comfort when I'm in the drops, even with my flipped stem that sits on the 25mm cone spacer ... but so far the Toupé was very nice, the wide and flat rear section was a perfect place for my sit bones to call home. I'm hoping one of the Fizik saddles works, because I prefer their aesthetics over Specialized, but in the end comfort trumps all

I think that once you identify a few saddles that you personally like, you can then ask "hey, of these saddles that are actually comfortable, which one would you recommend?" I think there are various reasons to choose one saddle over the other if comfort is equal between them. Durability is one, as is cost per weight.

On a side note, I ordered a Deda Superzero seatpost, which has an offset of like 21 or 25mm. I was advised this would benefit me because as my saddle is adjusted now it is all the way back. It's possible that being adjusted all the way back like this is transmitting force through the saddle that normally would be more evenly distributed. Perhaps this is something you can look at as well? Finding the right saddle also has to do with it being on the correct seatpost, or so I'm told ... I still haven't found my perfect saddle ....

PS Why do people get butthurt over it being called a seat ("you sit on a seat and you perch on a saddle"), but then we go and affix it to a 'seat'post? o_O