View Single Post
Old 10-03-13, 01:08 PM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1069 Post(s)
Liked 799 Times in 507 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
Given the current emotional climate and family/medical pressure to get any head impact "checked out" immediately at a hospital "just in case," I doubt that you would have avoided the ambulance ride to the hospital and subsequent 24 hour observation if your helmet was so much as scratched after an impact with a truck. I am surprised that the hospital didn't run all sorts of expensive tests i.e. MRI's just in case, especially if the procedure would be covered by somebody's insurance.
My wife suffered a NON contact subdural hematoma when we were rear-ended. Wearing a helmet would not have made a difference. A young customer of ours fell while riding his 20" BMX bike, struck his helmetless head and wound up in a coma. A helmet most likely would have prevented his disabilities.