Old 10-03-13, 08:55 PM
Medic Zero

Bikes: Old steel GT's, for touring and commuting

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by LiteraryChic
Nice. Okay, stupid question: How are they (the fenders & the rack) to change a flat tire? Interference? Difficulty? I do not have quick release on my tires, I have locking skewers.

Thanks for the pics!
Not stupid questions at all! Some people have problems with some bikes with fenders getting the rear wheel out. I personally haven't with my set-ups (I've got hammered Honjos on a converted mountain bike and hammered VO fenders on another converted MTB, in addition to the pictured Woody's I mounted on my girlfriends' Novara Safari, and some plastic SKS's on her converted MTB) so I haven't had to deal with that, but there is a way to incorporate a spring or something at the front of a rear fender to enable the wheel to come out if you do end up having that conflict. I think in some cases you can get around that by remounting the wheel and then inflating it, rather than inflating the tire off the bike and then installing the wheel. That may well be the case with the Woody's and this bike, I honestly can't remember, I think I've only had the rear wheel off once. My girlfriend doesn't like this bike much and hasn't ridden it much (she loves a different bike I built up for her), and hasn't had a flat on it. I think I only had the wheel off to mount the fenders and unfortunately don't recall if the tire had to be deflated to reinstall the wheel. I haven't had or heard of any problems with any fenders interfering with removal or reinstallation of front wheels.

I don't believe I've ever had any problems with a rear rack interfering with wheel removal. My Nitto Big Front Rack does require me to completely remove the skewer in order to get the wheel out, and if I remember correctly my Old Man Mountain brand, Cold Springs model rack also requires the skewer to be completely removed to remove the wheel. I believe OMM discontinued this particular model, but I think all their models are quite similar to it. No trouble at all really, just requires a few more twists of the skewer to get it completely apart and out.

Which locking skewers do you have? The Zefal "Lock and Roll", Pitlocks, or something else? I believe the Zefal's have a little bit of leeway in which direction they are facing, so they should work okay for you. I've got a set of these, and another additional Zefal locking seat post skewer, but have only mounted the seat post ones so far. I don't see how Pitlocks or anything similar to those would have any problems with interference from racks or fenders.