Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 96 Posts
Originally Posted by Grand Bois
Avoid the new Blackburns with two struts instead of the usual three. They are too flimsy to be of any use.

I feel the same way about the Pletscher above.

Yes, I've tried both of them.
+1

The Pletscher is a great rack if you aren't carrying much as they lack lateral stiffness and a proper touring rack will usually have triple stays to provide better support and add stiffness, especially if they are made of aluminium.

MEC in Canada offers a rather decent, triple stay rack that sells for $15.00... these will handle light to medium loads and for heavily loaded touring one would want something better.

Steel is a different animal... it does not suffer from the same fatigue issues that aluminium does and because of tubing dynamics a steel rack is not going to weigh much more and can often weigh less than a comparable aluminium rack because the tubes can be thinner and lighter for the same diameter. The Filzer rack that came off my Pugsley weighed 200 grams more than the rack I built and was flimsy in comparison.

One caveat is that a really nice steel rack will probably cost quite a bit more than an aluminium one... many are custom made and many of the mass produced ones tend to be of very poor quality which is true for many things.