Bike Gremlin
Mostly harmless ™

Bikes: Heavy, with friction shifters

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 216 Times in 130 Posts
Originally Posted by Papa Tom
This past year, I picked up a Mirrycle MTB mirror for my commuter. Aside from the wide angle mirror I had rigged onto my glove at one point, this was the very first "proper" bike mirror I ever owned.

Up until then, I really didn't think a mirror on my handlebar was going to add anything to the cycling experience. In fact, I was pretty much convinced that all it would do is jiggle around and make me nauseous when I looked into it.

A few months later, I really can't imagine ever riding without one again. My commute feels so much safer, and my stiff neck (from turning around to look over my shoulder every two seconds) is gone. How could I have been such a putz for all those years?

So, without turning this into a discussion about WHICH mirrors and which TYPES of mirrors people use, can we share some stories about how, when, and why we discovered bicycle mirrors in the first place? Has a mirror become an integral part of your commute?
Drivers in my area drive as if they'll run you over until the last second, then they swerve. Having mirror was too stressfull, so I removed it. Sounds silly perhaps, but that's it.