Old 10-07-13, 07:52 AM
Ridefreemc

Bikes: 2017 Kona TI, 2016 Bike Friday Haul-A-Day, 2015 Bike Friday New World Tourist (for sale), 2011 Mezzo D9, 2004 Marin Mount Vision Pro - for now :)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by bikemig
Kickstands are useless. (1) Unless your bike has a plate, it will eventually damage the chain stays (unless you run a kickstand from the rear drop out). Very few nice bikes have kickstands because they are unnecessary. (2) If you're riding the bike, a kickstand the dead weight. If the bike is at home, get a stand or hang it on a hook. (3) If you're going to lock it up, the kickstand doesn't help you.
My bike doesn't have a plate, but I'd like to mount a kickstand (I have a double that I have cut a corner off of so that it clears the front derailler cable). Does anyone know a very good way to protect the chain stays so I can add one? It's on my Salsa Vaya and they say no to kickstands mounted via the stays. I cannot add one at the rear because of my disc brake.

bikemig I hear what you are saying and I'm not wanting to argue. I believe that a double kickstand will be helpful, especially since my larger tires do not fit in a standard bike rack (the tires are too tall) so I'd stand the bike next to the rack to lock it up. Also, I see that some of the shop owners are not happy with me (gently) leaning the bike against their plate glass front windows. Many places have no other leaning area.

Last edited by Ridefreemc; 10-07-13 at 02:01 PM.