Bikes: 2003 Specialized Allez 24-Speed Road Bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
[
Originally Posted by jhawk
Hi all,

Thinking of buying a GPS over the coming few months, as I'll be starting touring in Spring/early Summer of 2014 - whenever the snow goes away, really. However, my phone also has GPS capabilities, but it's a drain on the battery - and then there's the argument that a map will do. Which is true. But, I'd rather keep the map as a back-up, rather than my primary method of location - I guess I'm more of a tech-friendly person and enjoy having the technology there to support me.

I've heard and read lots about Garmin's GPS's when it comes to cycling - admittedly, I haven't looked around too much, as it's more of an after-Christmas purchase. But, still, no harm in asking and getting one in my sights to buy once the fat man in the red suit has gone. Furthermore, I'm wondering what the score is with regards to GPS's being compatible with cycling applications/mapping software, such as MapMyRide (which I use), Strava (which I have, but have never used), and there are hundreds of others out there. Can you just simply plug your GPS into your PC and 'download' your route from MapMyRide, etc, onto the GPS itself?

Turn it on, load it up, select your route, and bam. It's logged into your GPS and you're good to go... Not too sure on the GPS front.

Any help? Suggestions on what to buy?

Secondly... And maybe this should be in a separate thread, but what do you guys use to lock up your bikes when you're on tour? Where do you lock it up? I've heard of and met people who just chain their's to the nearest tree they can find...

I'm not too sure on the locking system, as I rarely lock up my bike here in town. But, on the road I'd want to be a lot more cautious. A friend of mine has recommended the AXA lock with Kryptonite cables, and when I saw how it worked on his bike, it looked like a pretty secure setup.

Any help on the locking front?

Cheers,

Jhawk.
I have the Garmin Edge 200. It is the cheapest of the Garmin Edge series. It also is not touch-screen. It doesn't have route capabilities and will not tell you specifically where you went.

The Garmin Edge 500(I want to replace my 200 with the 500) is also not touch-screen. But it does have the mapping capability.

If you want touch-screen technology, the Garmin Edge 800 has it. You can download a MapMyRide map to the 800.

You can buy directly from Garmin themselves, or from a bike shop that sells Garmin bike computers.

I recently replaced an On-Guard lock that started to fail after several years of heavy use, and replaced it with another On-Guard lock that has a letter combination instead.