View Single Post
Old 10-09-13, 07:58 AM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 945 Post(s)
Liked 2,008 Times in 572 Posts
Originally Posted by SFCRetired
Shucks, I'm sixty-nine, having a lot of fun, and want to live to be a hundred and then get shot by a jealous husband with an eighteen-year-old wife!!!

I told my wife the latter part of that. She got one of those mysterious smiles women get and said, "You'd better worry more about me than about him."

I've seen my son pin on the stripes that I was wearing at the time of my retirement. I've seen my two biological grandchildren and my one step-granddaughter. I think I've made out pretty good: I've got two sons, two daughters, one daughter-in-law and three wonderful grandkids. On top of all that, I've still got most of my health; just a few more aches and pains than I had when I was thirty. But the aches and pains let me know I'm still alive.

I'm not too happy about all the aches and pains, bifocals and weird stuff either. But I see other people at the same age, and realize I have little to complain about. I can still do what I want when I want to do it, and that's all that matters.

I've come to think that older age is your reward for taking care of yourself. If you do that and have a little luck, you'll be fine.

Lots to be grateful for:
  • Watching my kids grow up into terrific adults.
  • I don't feel compelled to put up with as much crap as I used to.
  • All the attractive women in the 40's and 50s who also take care of themselves. I dunno why but women in their 20s look like children to me.
  • Lots of good friends and the time to enjoy them.

All that for the cost of a few extra pounds? So be it.