View Single Post
Old 10-09-13, 09:33 AM
deeth82
Dirty Schwinn-Lover

Bikes: '11 & '13 Schwinn Racers, Takara (Kent) Kabuto, '11 Gary Fisher (Trek) Marlin SS 29er, Schwinn Sanctuary Cruiser, '11 Schwinn Sid, Firmstrong Chief 3-spd, '10 Schwinn Corvette

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by RaleighSport
I don't think your serious.. but I shall grant your request. I can't find any of his crazy pics atm, this is mostly stock I believe.

Found one:
Bikes current cockpit

The Tourist is a surprisingly resilient frame + fork + drivetrain. I had the original flatbar + wheels on it for years (light-to-moderate usage), and it worked just fine. The original Target retail price was $250, and I'm wondering if that may be due to the fact that unlike lots of other DS bikes, this one came stock with sturdy, serviceable (though by no means "high quality") components. My Tourist was the model before the one in your photo, and I've loved it as a Frankenbike. It still sees commuter service on a regular basis, despite how ugly I've made it over the years. It's one of the few DS bikes I have that really has stood up well over time and usage, but also note that I replaced pretty much everything except the frame/fork/seatpost over the years...not always necessary, but hey, I love to "upgrade".

I'd also like to second the posts that have mentioned the possibility of the wheels being too weak, and the absence of rack/fender mounts. A good rack really does make commuting a more joyous occasion if you have to haul a good bit of things to work like myself, and as I did, the OP can purchase accessories that will allow him to add a rack without damaging the frame. Also, I'm 6'1", 220lbs...I ended up buying wheels with more spokes that I felt comfortable with riding. Getting a Department Store bike is okay, so long as one doesn't mind sinking more money into upgrades over time and are mechanically competent enough to wrench on it/smart enough to take it to a bike shop from the moment of purchase. The OP should have it looked over or do it himself, if he feels comfortable doing so. Just getting on and riding is typically a crapshoot, and one you're less than likely to come out of on top.

If at all possible, follow the earliest advice and scour Craigslist for an old steel 10-speed, or something comparable. Just because a bike is bought "brand new" from the store does not make it more reliable than a good old steel steed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
GreyFox.jpg (81.1 KB, 5 views)

Last edited by deeth82; 10-09-13 at 09:37 AM.