Old 10-09-13, 06:00 PM
memebag

Bikes: 2017 Cannondale CAAD12 105, 2014 Giant Escape City

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 820 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by antimonysarah
What pressure are you running the tires at, and how much do you weigh?
Originally Posted by gsa103
What's your weight, tire size (assuming 25mm), and tire pressure? A lower rear pressure may help stabilize the bike. I'd start at about 80 psi, and see how that feels.
I weigh 190 to 195. I usually run a little under 90 psi.

Originally Posted by gsa103
Loosing the rear tire is much more recoverable than the front. What are your pedals?
Clipless. I think it's called SPD-SL or "Look" style. The ones that clomp a lot when you walk on the cleats.

Originally Posted by bbattle
memebag, I suggest you contact your local cycling club and see about getting into some group rides. Not only can they increase your confidence but they can recommend an LBS that can fix your shifters.
I'm doing that. I rode with them last week on my hybrid, but I was the only one on a hybrid. I was going to take the road bike this week, but when I think about the route it seems like the hybrid is better suited to it. The speed and distance are both easy on my hybrid. And most of the ride is in the dark, and I'm scared of unseen cracks and debris.

I think I'll take the hybrid again this week, but spend time over the weekend trying to get more comfortable on the road bike.

I ride a lot out in the country, sometimes driving for 45 minutes to get to my starting point. Far less traffic and country folk seem a lot more tolerant of bicycles.
I don't have a lot of free time to spend driving someplace to ride. I usually just ride on the MUP and city streets after work for an hour or two.

In town, I will stay in residential areas and attack the short, steep hills all around me.
I live in Houston. The closest hills are a 30 minute drive away, and they aren't that steep.

Someone asked about the fit. I got a professional fitting after I bought the shoes and pedals. It just feels like there's very little grip. Some of it is in my mind, but some of it is that the bike has less grip than my hybrid.

Last edited by memebag; 10-09-13 at 06:07 PM. Reason: fix quote