MattInFla
Rolling roadblock

Bikes: 2013 Specialized Sirrus Comp

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by digibud
I've done two this year and was disappointed to learn they are looking for EKG data that points to problems and that information is obtained well below an exercise level that is a stress for me. A stress test may be hard for somebody in bad physical condition but I regularly push myself as hard (and harder) than I got to in my stress test. I'm doing a follow up stress test today after a stent was put in last week. They asked me to not eat for 4 hours prior to the test and I finally got them to explain it was because some people threw up. I laughed. It's just ten minutes of a hard effort. Today's goal will be to get them to let me continue pushing to a real, stressful, maximum effort and for me that is WAY beyond the point where they normally stop.
Yeah, this isn't a performance study. What they are looking for on the ECG are signs of muscle that is becoming oxygen deprived. When a section of muscle is not getting enough blood flow, it changes the electrical characteristics of the tissue, and that appears on the ECG. They take you to a certain heart rate based on a protocol that is designed to reveal cardiac muscle ischemia, not your max performance