Old 10-10-13, 09:55 AM
Leebo

Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 66 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
Disc brakes don't suck...rim brakes are, in fact, disc brakes...it's just that they aren't as much of an improvement as everyone tout them to be. A hub disc equipped bike doesn't stop any any shorter distance than a rim brake equipped bike if both systems have been properly set up.

I am also a clyde who rides hard. I do have "full experience" with discs as well as with rim brakes, I mountain biked many years on cantilevers, then many years on linear and many years on disc. I do fully loaded bicycle tours...me, bike and touring load are probably dragging 300 lb...through all kinds of terrrain including fast steep descents on steep mountain roads in rain. In none of my experience has the a hub mounted disc brake made much difference. I can ride just as fast downhill and stop with just the same amount of lever force with any brake system I have...disc, linear or cantilever.

Brakes are more about how they are used than the mechanism.
Please come out of the dark ages. Every mountain bike over $400.00 sold in the last 5 years comes with disk brakes. Why? They work better in the nasty conditions like mud, rain, slush and snow. Your experience may be different. For me as well as the 99.5 percent of the other users, they are a better brake. If you live in AZ or FL, nobody cares. Yes , rim brakes do an OK job. I like the less work and mess with disc brakes. Try some BB7'S or new XT's or some nice avid elixers. You might be surprised.