View Single Post
Old 10-12-13, 10:17 AM
Lenton58 

Bikes: Vitus 979, Simplon 4-Star, Woodrup, Gazelle AB, Dawes Atlantis

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 75 Times in 42 Posts
This one is not as exotic, pretty or fabulous as most of what appears in this fascinating thread. But, i do believe it is rare. And perhaps it is the only one in Japan. I bought it as 'frame only' out of Europe. I used it to build a single-speed machine on a strict budget. It has served me very well, but I am dying to know how it feels to ride on tubular tires and geared up using a friction DT-shifting 6 speed drivetrain and fitted out with vintage Suntour and Campy parts. So what is it? It is labelled as Simplon — the 4-Star model. Not as rare as the 5-Star, of which fewer than 50 were ever made.

Simplon was a boat builder on Lake Constance. For some reason they diversified and went into bicycles and chose Simplon as a name for the marque due to the engineering prowess of the famous tunnel. Today they produce very serious competition MTB racers. Very little information is available in regards to their early road bikes. But, I hav e spent almost three years trolling for information and pictures and have come to an interesting conclusion. I am dead to rights positive that this frame was constructed by Romani and badged as Simplon.

Romani was an old family firm that produced frames for many other well-regarded marques. They often made up frames for companies that were flooded with orders that they could not fill — apparently including the likes of Colnago.

As a Romani, it may not be so rare. As a Romani badged and perhaps specified by Simplon, it may be rare and unusual. The pic below has appeared on BF before, but before I knew what I suspect I know now. No doubt you may see it again when it is transformed and returned to it's more original form as a road racer. A certain lust has taken hold of me.