View Single Post
Old 10-13-13, 03:40 PM
Frosty Camel

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Gnosis
Congratulations on your first century ride, Frosty Camel!

However, I'll add that riding a century ride just once doesn’t provide a heck of a lot in the way of bragging rights, as in essence it conveys that you deemed it so daunting that you decided against ever riding another century. See what I mean? Not much to brag about.

But it's definitely a gratifying personal achievement and that achievement becomes all the more significant when you find yourself riding numerous century rides per year without giving its difficulty a 2nd thought.

There are many on this forum who ride a dozen and even more than 2 dozen century rides every year, now THAT qualifies for some serious bragging rights, but oddly, their achievement far outweighs any need to brag about them, so instead they deem it gratifying that they’re capable of doing so at whatever their age.

So I’m not raining on your parade, but instead trying to get you to realize that century rides get easier the more you ride them and eventually you may find yourself riding much greater distances just as I have (i.e., a 200-mile ride in late August of this year). I only rode 8 hilly century rides in 2012 and that was the first year that I ever rode a century ride, so my point is, it doesn’t take all that long before you can progress to far greater distances, but it won’t happen unless you possess the desire to accomplish such distances and you can't accurately determine the scope of your limitations via a single successful century ride, as they do get easier each time (short of riding them in sweltering humidity, which is always more difficult).

I hope it doesn’t turn out to be your only century ride, in which case, I wish you much success in your future distant rides.
Well, 3 years ago this was my life: I used a riding lawn mower to go out to the street and check the mail because WALKING that distance was too exhausting. When I went to the store I would circle like a shark waiting for the absolute closest parking space I could find, and walking into the store had me panting. I could only shop using the electric cart. My body ran on cigarette smoke and beer. That was a short 3 years ago.

Then I bought a bike (and quit smoking). 3 years later I have the ability to ride A HUNDRED MILES!!! This parade can't possibly be rained on!

I had an itch, I scratched it, and it doesn't itch anymore. Only time will tell if I will ever get that itch again. I ride a bike for two reasons: 1) I'm in better shape than I've ever been in my life and 2) I LOVE the **** out of it!! 3 days ago I didn't think I could ever ride 100 miles, now I know I can! That's something that can never be taken away. So yes, I can and will brag. For the time being I'm perfectly content going back to my 20 to 50 miles rides with the occasional foray into 60 or 70 mile territory.

Last edited by Frosty Camel; 10-13-13 at 03:43 PM.