Bike Gremlin
Mostly harmless ™

Bikes: Heavy, with friction shifters

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 216 Times in 130 Posts
Originally Posted by Leisesturm
It would appear that most Americans with firearms training have been taught to shoot to kill. No exceptions. Any forum I've been on where this topic comes up the 'experts' get right in there and insist you've got to have the intention to kill with the first shot. Hmmmm. It was widely publicized last year about one constrast between America and Europe with respect to firearms. It was noted that in 2011 the German police department. That is all of Germany, not just Munich or Hanover or Berlin, but the entire country... the combined police forces in Germany fired 90 rounds the entire year. In just one incident in NYC, responding officers fired 90 rounds at one unarmed homeless man in Harlem. They fired uncountable hundreds of rounds during that year, none of which were warning shots. Not the entire U.S. just NYC.

H
There is a difference in mentality. Between different European countries, and between Europe and the USA. Crime is not the same. England has unarmed police officers, but such laws that you would rather shoot a SWAT member, than even consider hitting the unarmed policeman.

Police practice is also different. From what I could tell - US cops often patrol alone (one cop, one car). That is a totally different situation than when going in pairs, like I saw German cops do. I'm no expert, nor have I lived in the US, but I'm sure you need different tactics for different situations.

European caliber of choice is 9mm parabellum, which is considered not penetrating enough by the FBI (with a pretty good reason, to be honest).

So I guess in USA everything needs to be bigger, different.