View Single Post
Old 10-14-13, 04:43 PM
eja_ bottecchia

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 463 Times in 293 Posts
Originally Posted by CommuteCommando
Do truly be very careful. This is exactly what was happening to me in the three weeks leading up to my ride in the little red bus to see the man with the femoral roto-rooter. Was it a burning sensation? The classic symptoms often include radial pain into the arm,and neck, but not always. I honestly thought it was the Carne Asada taco I had mid ride. Fortunately I was spotted puking by the side of the road by a flight instructor at the local airport I was riding around. I told him I was fine, that it was something I ate. Lucky for me, he had first aid training and recognized what was happening better than I did.

I had heard that your risk goes up after eating a fatty meal. The doctors I have spoken to dismiss this as unproven. Still, I err on the side of caution and never eat meals high in saturated fat.

I now ride with three stents, a "cocktail" of statins, beta blockers, blood thiners and ace inhibitors. I have also gotten serious with diet, and now am on reduced statins. Unfortunately, due to the stents, the blood thinners are for life. Still, I was extremely lucky in that I have 95% cardio function.

Bottom line. If the feeling comes on you, and doesn't go away when you stop pedaling, hit the 911 right away. Time is tissue!
But Carne Asada IS Mexican health food.

You are right, this is something to be careful with.

I have noticed that the length and intensity of my rides has decreased from a high of 950 miles in June, to barely 250 miles so far this month. Also the length of the rides has decreased, so there is definitely something there.

Oh well...if for some reason I can't ride, my bikes will make for nice wall art.