View Single Post
Old 10-15-13, 11:35 AM
Keith99

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by dedhed
Attacked and chased are not always the same thing. I have been chased by dogs that I know aren't going to attack me, but the first time on that route you don't know that. Most of the suggestions here will work on most dogs. Another thing is take different routes if you know a particular dog is bad or talk to the owner. I find rural dogs can usually be seen ahead of time and planned for, urban dogs often appear out of nowhere and are a lot closer to start with. Another suggestion is a small .22 auto loaded with hollow points. Head shot works best. Guaranteed he (she?) won't bother you or anyone else again.
Ironically the one dog that almost got me was rural but was waiting in the high grass on a climb, or perhaps resting and half awake. That would explain why he missed.

In another ironic twist this was on the same route where I met the most impressive pack. 3 big dogs, one considerably bigger than the other 2. I estimate the 'smaller' 2 were the same size as Joey, my now deceased Presa. So figure 120, 120 and 160 or so. They came charging down off a small bluff and no way I could outrun them, they had an angle on me. Part way through their charge I realize no aggressive barking, tails wagging, they are friendly. Then I remember Joey and think I could end up with a separated shoulder from a friendly jump, so I dismount.

In the end my only problem was they wanted to get petted more and it was hard to get them to go back home.

The one dog who almost got me had tried before and I did have an ongoing fantasy that some day both sets would be loose and I'd take my 3 friends back to have a chat with the troublesome dog.