View Single Post
Old 10-16-13, 08:45 AM
jbphilly

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Another Big Agnes Fly Creek UL1. I think I saw someone say theirs weighs 1.5 pounds; afaik, the listed weight is just under 2 pounds and with stakes, I round it up to 2. I haven't weighed it though.

What I like about it:
-Quite light for a freestanding tent.
-Freestanding. I was tempted by a Tarptent model that would have weighed a good deal less, but didn't relish the idea of trying to set up a non-freestanding tent when hard desert ground prevented me putting stakes in. Since I bought the tent for places I can't use a hammock, this seems like it could be a common occurrence. On a backpacking trip a few days ago in the Judean Desert (forgot to take a campsite photo, unfortunately), I was glad of this - the ground was much too hard for stakes. I've seen similar turf at all the night camps in the Negev, at which I anticipate spending a lot of time.
-And most of all...I got it used for an astounding 100 bucks, grimy but in great shape, and with an almost-new rainfly. Awesome.

What I don't like:
-Not roomy at all. I can't even really sit up in it.
-The whole tent has to go up before the rainfly can go on. If it were raining while setting up camp, I don't see how it would be possible to avoid getting the inside of the tent wet.

The former I can deal with; the latter should hopefully be alright because I got the tent to use when I can't use a hammock; places without trees often tend to be arid and not have prolonged rain, so hopefully I won't encounter that situation.

Here's my preferred mode of camping: