View Single Post
Old 10-16-13, 10:12 AM
h2oxtc

Bikes: Cannondale Caad 8; Jamis Aurora Elite, Kona Disc road bike, Rocky Mntn Equipe, Apollo Imperial, KHS Aero Comp SS

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 13 Posts
My second year at the Tour de Scottsdale. 70 miles, and not too much climbing. Sorry no photos, but here's a YouTube link to a video a friend took of the ride. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wXcm93kDCu8

There were over 1,000 cyclists riding either the 30 or 70 mile route. Large fast groups the first 10 miles. I found myself getting dropped from the group I was trying to hang onto at about the 15 mile point and rode the next mile alone - until I passed a guy just getting back on his bike after fixing a flat. I call him my angel since he pulled me along at 28 mph for the next 6 miles. I offered my thanks to him as we approached the bottom of a climb where I knew I would not be hanging on any longer.

The ride up Dynamite was easy, as was the 9 mile ride down into Rio Verde. The next 5 miles have always been mentally tough for me, usually riding it alone and often a head wind. This year I was in a group of a dozen bikes which made it an easy ride thru the rollers and into Fountain Hills.

This is where the group seemed to disintegrate as several people stopped at the aid station, and I found myself riding the last 15 miles to DC Ranch alone.

It was a fun ride - although I'm still sulking over the fact that I was 7 minutes slower this year. My wife rode the 30 miles and improved her time - go girl!

Lunch with friends after the ride - who could ask for more.

Last edited by h2oxtc; 10-16-13 at 10:18 AM.