Old 10-16-13, 12:16 PM
mstraus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by UserM4
I don't think that $100 or $150 is unreasonable for a dependable light. Some people spend more than that on a flashlight for their home. My commuting light is an older Niterider Minewt 600. The new replacement is the Lumina 700. They're about $100. Great dependable light. Often times I'll use mine on low but when the road gets sketchy, I'll crank it up. I love having the extra power as an added measure of safety. The lights are convenient because they charge with a regular mini USB cord and the battery is self contained in the light. If I had to do it again, I may look into the L&M Urban 550 or 700. Personally, I really like L&M beam patterns. I've owned their HID ARC systems in the past and have a SECA 1500 currently. Those I only use when mtn biking. I find them too bright for regular commutes. The 1500 is just way overkill but on medium, it shoots a very nice 800 lumen beam. But when I got my Minewt 600, the Urban 550 and 700 weren't available at the time. But those I'd like to take a look at closely. L&M seems to put out more light than they rate them as.
I tend to agree that a quality, and dependable commuting light is a good thing. I have a Niterider Lumina 700. It is bright, as a great mount, easy quick release to pull off to charge (charge via micro USB), and battery life is pretty good, especially if not using high. I like that I can charge at my desk or at home off my computer very easily. Its not perfect though, sometimes I wish the beam was just a bit wider, and I wish it had a low flash mode as the flash is VERY bright so I often don't want to use it due to disturbing others.

I am VERY interested in the Light and Motion Urban lights. Most of my LBSs here seem to recommend them and sign their praises of more accurate lumens rating then competitors, better beam for better visibility, the yellow side lights for 180 degree visibility, etc. They are also very small and light, and of course USB chargeable as well. There might be some local praise since its a local(ish) company to me as well.

I am getting a Urban 200 set (with micro 180 tail light) for my wife (who rides more at dusk then dark) so will get to see how that does, but am considering getting a Urban 700 for myself and have a light on each bike I use vs swapping when I swap bikes.