Old 10-17-13, 10:43 AM
metalheart44

Bikes: Holland Exogrid & Holland HC

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Miami Biker
Hi. Was not active except for in door cycling to lose weight and strengthen knee muscles before surgery. Did TKR on right knee as that was only one which met the medical criteria about ability to perform basic functions.

if understand your question you are worried about the shelf life of the procedure vs current activity. Not sure you would qualify, but if you do not sure why you would wait. Once I was off the meds before surgery, pain was excruciating in right knee. Did surgery in late 2005 and am delighted.

in 2008 moved to Florida and began biking. On road bike for two years now and have done 7,000 miles in those two years. Average close to 40 miles per trip and have lost 45 pounds since mid 2008. On, and did 70 miles this past Sunday after exceeding 68, my age for first time.

So for me no problems with biking and can do many other things didn't do before, like walking eand traveling.

Everyone is different so YMMV. If you can do most functions again you may not qualify. None of your activities seem to be be super strenuous that a TKR would stop them. Skiing, running, jumping etc are frowned upon. Check the literature.

If you do surgery, definitely work out before to keep legs strong.

Ed
Hi Ed, Congratulations on your success with your knee, your weight loss, and your riding. Good job!

Both my knees meet the criteria for replacement: bone to bone on my left knee (oddly gives me few problems) and my troublesome right knee is continuing to degenerate. I have months where the pain and limitations are acceptable. I have other months when functionality and pain are problematic. During those months, the ongoing pain just wears me down and I get tired easily, don't sleep well, and get grumpy, or so my wife says . Then, I pull out of it and riding is fine again and pain is manageable and I can do just enough chores and daily activities to feel ok. But, in the valley of the roller coaster I look for my chain saw and want to use it on my knee --- those are the times I am ready to schedule a replacement. At the top of the roller coaster, I can ride strong, climb hills with limited pain, walk the dogs a reasonable distance, do weed eating and other chores in limited spurts and then i say, "maybe I should just wait until I am worse."

There's the rub .......