View Single Post
Old 10-17-13, 12:27 PM
Barchettaman

Bikes: Focus trash find commuter, Eddy Merckx Corsa, BP Stealth TT bike, Leader 720 TT bike, Boardman Comp Hybrid drop bar conversion, Quantec CX budget cyclocross build, SerottaNOS frameset ready to build up!

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 69 Posts
Progress has been fairly swift.

The original BB came out easily enough, and has been cleaned & repacked. It spins smoothly enough so will be pressed back into use - budget build mentality rules!

The Miche crankset has been stripped down too, the arms sprayed a glossy black (the anodizing was too far gone), the big ring (52) has been cleaned up as well as I can and a Shimano 36 inner ring has been Dremelled into 116 BCD. Once the paint dries I´ll clearcoat the crankset & reassemble.

The Miche pedals have been stripped down and cleaned, ideally I´d repack the bearings but they seemed to be a sealed unit so I´ll just use them until they break. They came up OK. The leather straps are on their way out but I´ll probably just repaint them white and use until they snap.

The original handlebar has been chopped into a bullbar, the ends Dremelled out and a pair of Tektro brake levers installed. I had a 130mm 3TTT stem sat here not doing much so that´s going on.

The LBS checked the rear alignment and it was fine so nothing needs doing/bending back into shape.

I also bought a rather nice Tange headset from the LBS, he threw in cables, housing and fashioned the missing seatpost bolt for me for free, so that´s done.

Next purchase will be the chrome fork, I might have to go retail for this as there aren´t many about with a steerer tube long enough second-hand. I might get lucky on eBay but I´m not optimistic for this one.

In other news, I got a nice ride in on the Olmo - found a sloe bush absolutely dripping with berries, picked 5lbs and made 8 litres of sloe gin, so a good day all round!