View Single Post
Old 10-17-13, 06:08 PM
squatchy
squatchy

Bikes: S-works Roubaix, S-works Tarmac, Gary Fisher Promethius, Tommasini Competion, Eddy Merckx Corsa 01

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
Thank you for the clarification. Yes, I understand about the weight completely. I've been riding a tandem with my wife, who puts out less than half my watts. We weigh about 340 all-up.

Anyway, next time you're on a steep hill, do as I described in that quoted post. Don't push down particularly. Instead, just rotate the pedals smoothly. Push forward at the top, hard, push down a little, pull back hard at the bottom, and pull up some on the backstroke. You'll find this very hard to do, but do it anyway. A few weeks of doing this and you'll notice positive results.

Another painful thing you can do is: on a slight grade, maybe 1%-2%, unclip one foot and pedal one-legged, trying really hard to keep a taut chain. Try to do that with each leg for at least 2 minutes. Ouch. But it works.

Every spring I do a bit of one legged drills as well as a fewevery few months just to refresh my memory.

As a side bar, I have found, For me any way, that I used to ride with my saddle just a bit too high, even though I didn't rock back and forth. I have since learned that if I lower it just a bit I can really feel a difference in how easy (or not easy ) it is to get over the top of my stroke. I believe if I can get over the top a little more naturally then it surely must add to the overall fit/performance when riding in general. This is now how I fine tune my saddle height for myself and significant other FWIW