Old 10-20-13, 02:00 PM
metalheart44

Bikes: Holland Exogrid & Holland HC

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Thanks TacomaSailor, very helpful information. Your second post about your friend's outcome is one I have heard from several folks who have had TKR. The scar tissue, reduced range of motion, and continuing pain were problematic and limited their involvement in athletic activities. Although the surgery is generally said to be "successful" about 90% of the time, it is not always what is expected.

While I can cycle a fair amount, walking any distance more than 1/4 mile and my pain score goes up and I need to ice and spend time off my feet. I do not stream fly fish any more because I am unstable walking over rocks and standing on uneven ground results in pain that gets me off my feet. There are other aspects of daily life and recreation that are compromised, but are those enough? That is the general question that is a struggle for me to answer. In general, I would rather wait until I do have to beg for the surgery, but other times I go looking for the chain saw to cut the blankety blankety thing off.

I had a cortisone shot Friday. I have had six or so, some have worked some not. Did the Supartz/Synvisc type injections with some mild relief, but nothing dramatic. It is just a matter of living with the discomfort and functional compromise in some areas of life.

Your response was especially helpful, thanks....