Still Pedaling

Bikes: Brompton and Dahon Curve D3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ntp folding
Hi!

Because of a student project I started to read more about folding bikes. During my research I asked myself a lot of questions so I thought I’ll just ask the community what you think about it. I hope you can answer some of my questions.

So firstly I asked myself why a bike rider chooses to buy a folding bike. I think folding bikes are very practical, whether because you don’t have as much storage capacity or because of an improved mobility. Did you guys see someone riding around with a folding bike or did a friend of yours have one before buying one? Or did you just read something about folding bikes in a journal/on the internet and then decided to buy one?

Secondly I was reading a lot about the different brands. To decide which brand you want to buy, did you read reviews or do you actually stick to a brand? Or do you rather prefer to go to a specialized retailer and seek advice (e.g. for test riding)?

Thirdly I wanted to ask you if you think that folding bikes and the usage of folding bikes should get more attention/should be promoted, as more people would use their bike, for example to go to work (maybe in combination with public transport)? Or just to get out of the city and get some fresh air on their bikes?

Looking forward to read some interesting answers/stories and thanks in advance!
I wish the projects they gave me in College were as interesting.

Why did I choose a folding bike? Simple really. I got tired of lugging around larger steads on racks. If I went on a trip, I didn't like the idea of leaving the bikes on the rack while stopping off at a restaurant as an example, and a lot of hotels/motels weren't too keen on the idea of my wife and I wheeling our bikes through the lobby and up to our rooms. So, for us, the obvious choice was a pair of folding bikes that can be hidden in the back of the car and carried into hotels with little to no fuss.

As far as brands went, I started off blind, so to speak. Didn't know one model from another, and with a tight budget we chose to go along with a couple of inexpensive folders from Camping World (Adventure brand). They didn't work out because I was having a problem with the rear hub. Like the old saying -- "you get what you pay for". Now came the work of reviews and getting answers to questions. This is when my visits here started, and since then I have learned a lot about folding bikes. One would think, and correctly so, mind you, that I should have done this step first. Instead I put the cart before the horse. I ended up reviewing many brands and models, but unfortunately there wasn't much to actually look at and test ride. Most bike shops, at least where I live, don't handle folding bikes. I did, though, come across a great dealer not too far from where I live that carried different brands; Brompton (which I finally settled on), Tern, Dahon (one model -- the Mariner), Bike Friday, Moulton, and Montague. I went there to look at the Dahon Mariner and the Tern Link C7. My wife was with me and became smitten on the Brompton and had one of the staff members go over the bike with her while I pedaled around their lot on the Mariner and C7. I liked both models, and were in my budget range without going into debt. Well, my wife was the one to convince me to get the Brompton and done with. Her philosophy was, "why not get the best so that down the road you won't have any regrets". I fell for her logic and purchased the Brompton. Unfortunately I don't own it outright due to going into debt for it . One big problem is -- we only have one bike to share between the two of us. My wife didn't mind because, the giving soul that she is was quite content to ride around on her mountain bike until we can purchase another folder, and she was willing to wait until we can afford another Brompton. Unfortunately it will be a long wait until I pay off the credit card for the one we own then go back into debt again for the second Brompton. Now we are in a situation where we are, once again, rethinking things out. Should we wait for another Brompton, which could take awhile, or spend our insurance refund on a lesser expensive bike for her. At least we have the one Brompton that she can ride when she wants, but another folder is needed if we plane to travel. Decisions are still pending.

Do I think folding bikes should get more attention and be promoted? Most definitely. I honestly feel that, like all bikes, they are fun to ride and each type of bike obviously has its purpose, but I think for many, or perhaps I will go out on the limb here, and say that most riders will like or appreciate a folding bike because of its versatility -- ride, fold, carry, store, unfold, ride. Perfect for commuters and travelers alike.

Lastly: I feel I made the right choice in bicycle type. I have owned road bikes in the past, and I presently own a mountain bike, but none of them have given me the pleasure of riding like my Brompton, affectionately known as a Brommie. I feel like a kid again when I'm out riding, and at my age -- "priceless"!!!

Hope this helps with your project.

Cheers
Wayne

Last edited by Still Pedaling; 10-21-13 at 09:27 AM.