Old 10-21-13, 02:51 PM
Racer Ex 
Resident Alien

Mentioned: 158 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 349 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by gsteinb
Right on. But we kicked this off with a guy deciding he wants to try racing. There's a big difference between taking a ski lesson (s) and having a ski coach. I think a newly minted 5 should have some cycling lessons, but not necessarily a coach.
Again, as I pointed out to my client Matt, I never said (or wrote) a coach was "necessary". We kicked this off with a guy asking this:

Originally Posted by jnobles
Is getting a coach when your beginning cycling and want to race a waste or can it be a good idea and why.
Because there's no such thing as a "racing lesson" in many places (thankfully that's not the case everywhere) you end up with a huge noise to signal ratio as far as "advice" goes. I've had new riders tell me that the "star" cat 3 told them how to corner...and that advice was completely wrong. Or they figure they need to ride 30 hours so they are in shape. And so on.

My point is, and will continue to be that The Right Coach® can be a good idea. Great idea even. Then I explained why. Which sort of was exactly answering his question exactly, and not making an extrapolative jump into the "everyone must have a coach" swimming pool.

The Right Coach® is a registered trademark of Racer Ex LLC, CPA, WPOD, MBA, AARP.