Old 10-22-13, 07:48 PM
Nashzel

Bikes: Trek Domane 5.2,Trek 2300, Specialized Carve Comp

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by metalheart44
" As for when to do it? I always tell everybody that you will know when you need to do it because you look at your life and it has become defined by the condition of your knees. Think long and hard about it and do what you think is right for you."

Glad your surgery has improved your quality of life. Your comment above is one I hear from a few people who have also had the surgery and from my doc as well. There are also those folks who prefer to wait until walking and other activities require a cane or walker or their pain prevents them from sleeping and staying focused in daily life. Then, there are those who say that they have just enough diminished capacity and quality of life that they prefer the surgery earlier so that they have more time to return to a more normal quality of life than they have with compromised knees. Most of the successful operations appear to improve quality of life and preserve the ability to cycle, a big issue in my decision process. And, then there are the example such as the one noted my TacomaSailor who have the surgery and complications result in a more limited range of activity than prior to surgery or in some cases worse pain, the inability to cycle, and limited mobility.

So, the lesson I take away from the experiences shared above is that for me, if I can manage the pain, continue the important activities of daily life, and cycle at my current level and continue to improve, then I will postpone the surgery as long as I can. The cortisone shot I had late last week is giving me some relief and I am going to ease back into riding this week with 30, 35, 40, and 45 mile rides. Then next week try some climbing rides and at the same time stack fire wood, plant the winter garden, trim up the orchard, fix the irrigation for the winter, clean my gutters before it rains again, and along the way assess how my knees/pain are doing.

Gotta go now, time for a ride.

That's the correct answer. Like I said, you'll know. As for the possibility of complications, they are real and they are possible. When you do have them done, get yourself a good ice machine( the kind with a nice chest and a pump- they even have them with a "Y" fitting so you can ice both knees at the same time) they are so much more efficient than ice bags. I have a Breg Kodiak. That thing saved my bacon. You might want to get one now since icing those joints can really hold off the pain and help you sleep, it might buy you some more time. Also, there is a great website forum called "bonesmart". There are tons of threads from people in all different situations related to knee replacement both pre and post surgery. It helped me a bunch both before during and after my journey. Good luck and ride it like you stole it!