slug56

Bikes: Boardman Road Comp 2012

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cause of Loose Headset?

Hello all,

Just lately on my bike, I've noticed the headset (FSA Orbit C40 1 1/8 - 1.5) feels quite loose. When this first started I was able to pinch up the top-cap bolt, but the fix didn't last long before the problem returned.
It's now got to the point where even with the top-cap over-tightened, the headset is still loose.

By loose, I mean I can apply my front brake and feel movement of the stem in the head tube. To try and remedy the issue, I have removed the forks and cleaned, lightly regreased and replaced the components. Strangely both sets of bearings seemed okay to me, though I've not had the experience of comparing a worn set with new ones. In any case, the inner face of the bearing housing seems to rotate relatively smoothly, and there doesn't seem to be any play in either set of bearings.

My question: even though the bearings don't seem too bad, are these likely to be the culprit? I don't fancy spending £20 on replacements to find I then need to spent another £50 on a complete headset because the issue remains.

Thanks