Old 10-24-13, 10:03 PM
metalheart44

Bikes: Holland Exogrid & Holland HC

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Nashzel
That's the correct answer. Like I said, you'll know. As for the possibility of complications, they are real and they are possible. When you do have them done, get yourself a good ice machine( the kind with a nice chest and a pump- they even have them with a "Y" fitting so you can ice both knees at the same time) they are so much more efficient than ice bags. I have a Breg Kodiak. That thing saved my bacon. You might want to get one now since icing those joints can really hold off the pain and help you sleep, it might buy you some more time. Also, there is a great website forum called "bonesmart". There are tons of threads from people in all different situations related to knee replacement both pre and post surgery. It helped me a bunch both before during and after my journey. Good luck and ride it like you stole it!
These ae very useful comments, especially from one who has had a knee replacement. I do frequent Bonesmart and a post of mine there generated this thread. I find the folks on Bonesmart very helpful and full of information. However, my impression is that they are folks who may be walking with canes or walkers or otherwise very compromised in their daily life. While I have times when I am VERY compromised, there are other times when I am not. For example I went for a ride slightly over a week ago wherein I experienced pain for a large portion of the ride. Then, I had a cortisone shot last Friday and decided to press the limits of the injection and see if it could make me reach a decision. I am still in that decision process. Today I did a 40 mile ride and averaged 18.2 (at least according to my Garmin 500) and I had some mild discomfort during parts of the ride. Then, I backed off, geared down, and moved on. I came home. climbed up on the roof, cleaned gutters, and raked leaves in the yard, jobs that would usually put me down for the day. But, tonight I have mild discomfort that I is workable. So, I plan to do some more "testing the limits" the next week or so, starting tomorrow with a longer ride and then some hills on the weekend. When my knee feels ok, I think the replacement should be delayed. When it hurts, I want it cut off NOW. There just is not a clear pattern for me to make a comfortable decision. So, that is the origin of my interest in folks who were active in riding and daily life activities and then decided to move ahead with TKR.