oddjob2
Still learning

Bikes: Still a garage full

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 847 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by catonec
I think taking an older, used up, bike and breathing some life back into it is pretty cool. Usually pretty fun so long as you dont have to spend alot to do so. There are definitely some beauties shown here, BUT>>>

I read so many posts in this thread that say, "bought at a garage sale" "picked up cheap at salvation army" "scored for a song at a pawn shop".....

not to split hairs but how exactly is that saving it from the dump? it was for sale! if you didnt purchase it, someone else would have. the seller wasnt going to put it out at the curb for the garbage man.

I have posted 3 bikes to this thread that I literally pulled out of a dumpster, restored to rideable condition, and gave to my friends or the local co-op, no cash involved.

Im not saying im cool I just needed to vent. sorry.
I would agree, paying $300 for a bike and listing it here is miscategorized

You could start a new thread, "free bikes."

I have posted two trash finds, a Schwinn Traveler, and a Fuji Sagres. Also, two frames from a scrapper's truck, a Technium 440 and a Schwinn Le Tour, for which I gave him $20. I do post a few charitable thrift and garage sale finds, but some homeowners here donate their garage sale proceeds to charity. Better for everyone to donate the bike to charity than toss it in a dumpster, unless it's a Wallyworld special.