View Single Post
Old 10-28-13, 12:52 PM
HydroG33r 

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by alan s
I'm going to give my usual response. Get something used on Craigslist. $200-300. Buy all the accessories and clothing you need, which can be moved to a later bike. Learn what you like and need, then get the perfect bike. You may find you love or hate bike commuting. You may find you want more comfort, more speed, etc. For now, just look for a solid bike that fits you and will get you there and back safely.

Originally Posted by Giant Doofus
I think this is really good advice. Before I started commuting I had done a lot of online reading about it and just about had myself convinced that I couldn't even start until I invested in new bike. But I worried, "what if I don't even like doing this?" So, I finally went with the cheapest bike I could find -- the one already in my garage! It's an aluminum hybrid that has taken me on many, many pleasant recreational rides. I put a milk crate on back and headed out. It was great!

After a week or so, I added fenders. Then I went back for a better rack. Next I found some panniers that work well for me. Finally, I added a headlight and taillight. All of these things can be moved to a new bike if I decide that's what I want to do. In the meantime, I'm learning a lot about what I do and don't want. For instance, rim brakes are making me nervous when it drizzles. I love my lights, but it sure would be nice to have a dyno system. My ride doesn't have many hills, but there is a red light at the bottom over every single one of them, so an IGH would be nice. You get the picture. It's hard to know what you want or need until you get out there and start doing it.
I actually went the same way; started commuting in June on my aluminum hybrid. Rode it for a solid 6 weeks, by which time I knew I was going to be able to keep up the regular commuting. Being the summer, I didn't need much in the way of fenders or lights or anything yet, so decided to get my bike fitted. Realized then that my frame was too small, which was why I was getting hand numbness about 20 mins into my ride. Ended up being able to sell my 10+ year old hybrid for $350, and turned around and bought my new bike knowing more what I liked. Now the plan is to ride the new one (my first road bike) for a few years at least, then maybe invest in a higher end road bike for speedy summer rides, keeping the current one as my rainy commuter Dreams...