Old 10-28-13, 09:03 PM
JiveTurkey
Low car diet

Bikes: 2006 Windsor Dover w/105, 2007 GT Avalanche w/XT, 1995 Trek 820 setup for touring, 201? Yeah single-speed folder, 199? Huffy tandem.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Lateral play in rear wheel, but not at the hub

Working on a friend's bike, Surly Crosscheck, one owner, 18 months old, with rear 135 mm Deore hub, enclosed cam skewer, and Alexrims 700c rim. Dropouts are horizontal, with spacing intermediated between 130 and 135.

Rear rim had significant lateral play, relative to frame, with a knocking feeling, like the hub was loose. It had been like this for a couple months before she told me. She can feel it while riding.

What I've tried. And results:

First day:
1) Hub was loose, so we pulled it apart, cleaned everything, inspected cones, races and balls (good), and re-packed. Some of the play was reduced, but it was still there.

A few days later:
2) Replaced skewer with another 135 mm Shimano skewer. Play went away BUT it came back a few days later.

A few days later:
3) Replaced skewer with a 130 mm Shimano skewer, which only engaged a few threads. No change, so went back to the 135 mm skewer.

A few days later:
4) Over-tightened hub to ensure there's absolutely no play there. No change, so re-adjusted hub.

5) Installed my 130 mm road wheel to ensure it's not a frame problem. Play went away; put wheel back in.

6) Ensured axle doesn't protrude past either dropout.

7) Deciding the QR skewer wasn't a factor, I re-installed the original skewer. No change.

Other things I've checked: No broken spokes and no obvious damage to rim (though just realized I didn't look for cracked eyelets).

The last thing I can think of is loose spokes. The NDS do feel a little loose, but not excessively. I have my doubts because there is a distinct knocking feeling when moving the rim. I imagine that loose spokes would cause play, but it'd be smooth and analog. I lost my spoke wrench, so we couldn't try increasing tension on the wheel yesterday, but will soon.

In the meantime, anyone have any ideas?