Old 10-30-13, 05:55 PM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1858 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 506 Posts
Originally Posted by Carib Can
Don't think I am blind but have not seen any wear on the tire so far. I can take a pic and upload it.
So, it does not really matter. There will ultimately be tire wear, but that can be corrected for a price of 20 to 50 dollars. If I rode two hours a day at low cadence (50 rpm?) and high speed (big ring, small cog), I'd have pained knees. If I pedaled the same road speed at high cadence (90+ rpm) for two hours, my knees would show me nary a twinge. That assumes my saddle is high enough. And if you do hurt your knees, you have medical costs, not little tire prices.

If you have your saddle height set for 25 degree knee angle, you're at the top end of the conventional advice for riders who ride hard a lot. If you lower the saddle to get a 35 degree angle, that's usually the bottom end. Beyond having read some of the articles collected by the likes of Ed Burke, the sizing guide by Arnie Baker, and the cycling medical guide by Andy Pruitt, I don't have access to any primary research on this. But it's pretty clear that the cycling science community thinks that knee stress across the kneecap increases when you lower the saddle. It's also pretty clear that hip rocking increases as you raise it. Hip rocking leads (for me) to perineal abrasion and possibly bleeding. It's not fun or pretty.

Without these issues sorted, aero does not matter to me. And having ridden road bikes for 40+ years, I no longer need to worry about how to put toes down - I've figured it out. Part of it is getting off the saddle when you stop. Another part of it is track-standing.

On your rig if you are going to ride 2 hours a day, work on your saddle height being sensitive to pain in the knee, butt, and perineum.

Last edited by Road Fan; 10-30-13 at 06:03 PM.