Old 11-06-13, 12:15 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 15,299 Times in 7,231 Posts
Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
If I am reading your map correctly, you are going east to west. That is the best way to cycle for two reasons:
- only one cycling time zone restriction, that restriction is on the west end of the park and you can hang out at a general store where they sell beer waiting for the time restriction to end.
- less climbing from east to west, see elevation profile from the GPS data from my ride.

A side note, the day before I went over Going to the Sun Road was biking from Waterton Park to St Mary. The climbs on that day were the toughest during my whole trip. The elevation profile for that day looked like this.

OP: If you camp at Rising Sun instead of St. Mary campground, the climb to Logan Pass is only about 2,000' IIRC. There are also showers at Rising Sun. Lake McDonald Lodge is a great place to hang out with some beers if you get timed out on the west side. Or you can just stay a Avalanche or Sprague Creek Campgrounds and not have to worry about that.

Definitely do not underestimate the stretch from Watrton Village to St. Mary. That first big climb is physically difficult It's also psychologically difficult as a lot of it is straight and open so it stares you in the face. Even after the big climbs on Chief Mountain you will likely have a strong headwind heading south on U.S. 89.

BTW....If you find yourself hungry on U.S. 89 and like burgers, the Firehorse Cafe makes a good one. It will be on your left.