lsberrios1 

Bikes: '13 Spech Roubaix SL4 Expert

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by due ruote
http://panasonicbikemuseum.info/wp-c...12/1988pg9.jpg
That sizing doesn't sound right to me. That bike came in 47, 51, 53, 56, 58, 61 and 64. I think the bike you're considering is a 56. Here's a pic of a 1988 DX-3000, 56 cm that I used to have:

Note the similarity in head tube length to the bike you're looking at:

Further, I don't have that bike any more, but I do have a 56 cm 1981 DX-4000, and the standover height on it is (you guessed it) 31.5".

Of course, we still don't know if that's the right size bike for you and/or your fiancee. Rather than giving us the size of your modern bike, how about telling us how tall you are, your inseam (crotch to floor, not pant inseam) and arm span. That would get you much more meaningful advice on fit.
Thanks for the info. Really dig your ex-panasonic! The guy called and he seems very intereted in selling the bike, or he might just be a nice person. He said the bike is 57cm which is large. It is supposed to be in pristine conditions and rides like new. I really like it. My fiancee not so much. If I could get it for a good deal I wouldn't mind getting this one and another one further down the road. I assume I could probably pay 225-250 for this panasonic which doesn't seem bad to me.

I am 5'11". Dont know my inseam or arm length but ride a 56cm Roubaix with a shortened 100mm 7 degree stem (110mm factory). I have a pretty "normal" composition. I'd say probably a 33 inseam. My fiancee is 5'7" and change. she has a very long torso but long legs as well. Not sure where she would fall and telling you she has an hour glass shape probably doesn't do anything...

Originally Posted by Bandera
Here's a different take that's worked for me, I've acquired my C&V kit by attrition.

Here's how: Buy a new bike that you like and ride it as much as you please, hopefully over several decades.
One day it's State-of-the Art, the next Obsolete, then Classic and eventually Vintage.

-Bandera
This is what I will do if my roubaix survives the racing seasons. She is already a little banged up but, hey, they are meant to be ridden.

Originally Posted by randyjawa
I publish MY "TEN SPEEDS" just for people like the OP, hoping to help newbies avoid making the host of mistakes that I have made over the years when it comes to vintage bicycles, acquiring, restoring and even riding.
This is awesome. I'll dig in! thanks

Originally Posted by jimmuller
If you are a modern-bike rodie be aware that when you go C&V you will be much faster. The only reason we don't ride that way most of the time is to avoid showing anyone up.

Welcome to C&V!
It's a slippery slope.
lol, I am afraid it's gonna happen like it did with my motorcycles. I had a 2013 Ducati with traction control, abs, blah blah blah and ended up falling in love with a 1997 ducati 748. Old, slow, bulky and clanky BUT with tons of caracter and soul! ... I miss that bike so much, it's been at the repair shop for months!! Can't wait to ride a "proper" steel bike