View Single Post
Old 11-07-13, 12:49 PM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 585 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 575 Times in 340 Posts
Originally Posted by southpawboston
Well, that's one progression. Another is that after the batteries die in your first computer, you realize how much you enjoyed tracking your progress as a cyclist, and want to take it to the next level. For me, that next level was GPS tracking. GPS tracking has transformed the way I plan my rides. It allows me to retroactively look at the routes I rode and decide which parts of those to incorporate into novel routes. Before GPS, I would have a vague idea of where that great fire road shortcut through the woods was, but it might be so remote that it's not even on an old-school map.

Sure, Strava and other tracking apps exist for smartphones and tablets, and I use Strava for shorter rides, but smartphones and tablets generally aren't sustainable for all-day rides, as GPS kills battery life (my iPhone 5 will get me five hours tops with GPS on). Better to have a dedicated yet inexpensive GPS-enabled cycling computer. I put a GPS computer on my wish-list for this holiday season, and I'm hoping for the Garmin 310, which is actually a GPS watch which I intend to use for running as well as cycling. It's tiny and can't display maps, but I don't care about that, I really just want the tracking and basic stats.
But, as you say, that is another progression. If you go this route, do you still have a bike-mounted computer? I think not.

I like the idea of your Garmin 310 but the latter is more money and features than the nexus seven tablet that I carry. The tablet battery lasts long enough to record a 150+ mile ride, displays maps, and can take pictures (the camera on mine is pretty bad; I believe they have corrected this on later models). So though it is bigger than your wristwatch, it replaces maps, which is pretty cool. I often ride places I haven't ridden before; that's kinda the point, isn't it? The tablet also has email (when wifi is available) and any number of other features / aps.

I still have computers on several of my bikes. But I don't think I'll be replacing them as they die. I also have Veeder cyclometers on several bikes; those things are cool!