View Single Post
Old 11-08-13, 03:39 PM
bikenh

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by MassiveD
If the weight was reasonable, I would far rather have a backpack on my back when riding trails, than pull a trailer. That thing is going to be out there like an anchor. Lets say you had to hop a 5" log. Not a big deal with a pack, Not going to happen with a trailer.

But in every other application I can think of I want a trailer, or I want panniers. Panniers are still the best option. There is no advantage to carrying the weight on your body, physically. Imagine that you have a heavy briefcase, would you rather ride with it hanging from one arm, or well secured on a rack. Control aisde. Obviously holding the weight of the case in your hand is vastly more tiring. In fact, the main efficiency that comes from riding a bike is that one does it sitting down. Would you tour without a seat. Same principle.
Agreed on jumping a log, a trailer wouldn't be ideal.

When it comes to riding with a pack on the back the difference is the pack is on the body and it moves right in line with the body. It doesn't sway from side to side when you stand to climb. It stays right in place on the back. It doesn't affect swaying the bike side to side for climbing either. Go out and try it. Pack the pack correctly, put it on and go ride, stand up to climb and sway the bike. I think you will be quite surprised how comfortable it is and how easy it is to ride with a pack on the back even with 35 pounds in the pack. The only thing you notice after riding a few days is the that you aren't use to riding with the extra weight on your ass. Remember the pack is on the body so now your body weight increases but however much weight you have in the pack. You have that much extra body weight being pulled down onto the saddle with each and every pedal stroke. Yes, you'll have a sweaty back, but your going to have that anyways if you are riding a bike anytime other than during the dead of winter.

I fess I have been looking into homemade versions of the bikepacking philosophy. The reasons I'm looking is for waterproof packing and to reduce the weight the packing device itself. Right now I've been experimenting with the idea of using plastic canister(44-60 oz Animal Crackers/Pretzels/etc). They are waterproof, I don't need any dry bags/stuff sacks. The plastic canisters weighs far less than the backpack and I can attach then right behind the seat and keep them off the legs. I have several other ideas for hooking them up to the bike and just have to find what works the best for me.

I can't use a standard bike rack on my bike and I have used a bike trailer before. I built one right as I was changing over and going carless back in the spring of 2010. In October that year the trailer got stolen after I had a spill, I missed a hole in the pavement with the bike, but not with the trailer. The bolt connecting the two together broke and I had to leave the trailer and go grab a new bolt. By the time I got back, the second time(first hardware store didn't have one), the trailer was going. By the end of the 2010/11 winter I was VERY glad the trailer got stolen. I know I would have been trying to be stupid and use it for running errands that winter instead of being smart and just using a daypack. That taught me the value of using the day/backpacks for hauling stuff around versus using trailers.