View Single Post
Old 11-09-13, 07:29 AM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6556 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by hazben1
UPDATE!

First, thanks for the info Rpenmanparker concerning bearing selection. What kind of specialty tools if any would I need to replace the bearings in the housing?

Ordered the 6700 for less than $25 and installed. The 6700 BB was definately tighter on the spindle than the 8681 BB. Had to tap it with the palm of my hand to get it on. Once assembled the crank was definately tougher to turn. If I tried to spin it it would maybe only go 1 revolution. I then checked out the instructions and noticed if it was going on a triple (which it is) I needed a ring and spacer which typically comes with the crank.

I have not got a chance to troubleshoot it so I am not sure if it is tougher to turn due to being tighter on the spindle or if it is due to assembling without the spacer. Any thoughts? Also where might I get the ring and spacer, direct from FSA?
According to posts on other sites I have found, you first remove the caps from the outside of the cartridges. They often break when you try to get them out so it is helpful to buy some spares along with the cartridges. Then secure the cup in a vise (cushioned with wood blocks to protect the cup) and punch out the cartridge from behind. One recommendation I saw was to use an old 27.2 mm seat post as the punch and a rubber mallet to provide the impact. One source says to use the mallet to hammer the new cartridge into the cup and replace the cover, but I think a vise with cushioned faces or a big C clamp with wood blocks would make a good press for getting the cartridge in.

I don't see why you couldn't remove one cup from the frame and use the frame as your "vise" to hold the second cup. Run your punch through the BB shell to knock out the cartridge from behind. Then use the C clamp to press the new cartridge in while facing the cartridge and the opposite side of the BB shell with wood blocks. When done on the one side, take out that cup and replace the other one to service it. Then reinstall the cup you serviced first. A vise shouldn't be necessary.

Edit: After further looking, I am wondering whether the Park tools for BB90, BB86, etc. wouldn't work just as well for removing and replacing cartridges in threaded cups. See here: http://www.parktool.com/product/pres...l-set-bbt-90-3 and t buy it: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Park-Tool-BB...item5d40011bf7

The punch tool should work fine. I imagine the press adapters would work okay too. You just need a homemade or simple purchased press. These are all over ebay or can be made from a threaded rod, appropriate nuts and large washers. Here is one on ebay that looks pretty good: http://www.ebay.com/itm/BB24-Bottom-...item3ccfdd4e2a

Last edited by rpenmanparker; 11-09-13 at 09:14 AM. Reason: Additional information