Old 11-16-13, 05:58 PM
Brian Ratliff

Bikes: Three road bikes. Two track bikes.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by JCNeumann
I feel your pain. It is a real challenge finding business clothes, at 6'2" and 245, I come in at 36/48 with a big can and thighs from ice hockey.

Couple of questions for posters here...

1) I like working with dead lifts, farmers walks, and squats. However, I feel like I'm not strength ing my hams as well as I should. I'd like to keep these balanced - any thoughts on how to help with that?
2) how about stronger calves - I've noticed this is an issue on a long ride, as my pedaling form starts to suffer.

One other thought: box jumps seem to have helped a lot on hills. Has anyone seen this, or could this just be a function of me not working on explosive power?

Great thread by the way
You going all the way down to parallel on your squats? That helps. Also, deficit deadlifts put more emphasis on hamstrings than standard deadlifts because of the larger range of motion.

I have naturally large calves for some reason, so I don't really think a lot about it, but I did notice that parallel squats (and deficit deadlifts, for that matter) work the calves as well as the hamstrings.

As far as explosive power, I intend to do bike work for that, a little closer to the season, but I've also added very fast, approaching a clean, deadlifts on my warmup sets. Lots of track guys do power cleans for power development.
"If you’re new enough [to racing] that you would ask such question, then i would hazard a guess that if you just made up a workout that sounded hard to do, and did it, you’d probably get faster." --the tiniest sprinter

Last edited by Brian Ratliff; 11-16-13 at 06:01 PM.