View Single Post
Old 11-17-13, 08:56 PM
ct-vt-trekker

Bikes: 2024 Specialized Tarmac SL8Pro, 2022 Specialized Epic Evo, 2021 Framed Alaskan Fatbike,2019 Trek Emonda SL6 Pro, 2018 Trek Stache 9.7, 2013 Specialized Roubaix SL4 Expert, 2009 Ritchey Breakaway Cross, 2016 Lynskey ProCross, 2008 Trek T1000 Tandem,

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Possibly it's not popular because people don't know about it?

My wife and I like to ride long distances so we're thinking of riding a brevet so I asked around to fellow riders to see if any of them had ridden them and I was shocked at what riders know (or don't know) about long distance cycling events. I casually polled the people I ride with during the week and of the 20+ riders I spoke to only one had ever even heard of Randonneuring. And these are all active riders who all ride 1000 to 6000 miles per year. Most of these riders ride charity rides and at least several centuries per year but when I mentioned the distances involved in Randonneuring most were shocked. Most have no idea that there are events like this. I just think that at least in my area of Connecticut it isn't popluar but it may be to lack of exposure or awareness of the events.
If bike riders don't know about the existance of such events how can participation increase?