Old 11-19-13, 01:10 PM
dajjorg

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Biking laws (and lawyers) in the US

Hello, first post here on the forum...

So i am a biker who primarily bikes for transportation needs. About 2 months ago I was involved in an accident with a car. Being ignorant of biking laws, I was convinced by the driver that I was at fault and, fearing liability for the small amount damage to their car (some small scratches and a dent), agreed with the driver that it would be mutually beneficial not to have a police report filed. Miraculously I was not injured despite completely flipping over the hood of the car, but things could have been much different (note: was riding on the street, not sidewalk).

Rather than describe my specific situation, I'd like to throw some questions out there on the forum to educate myself more generally on biking laws in the US.

1) Most generally, where can I find detailed information on biking laws in the US? (hopefully in plain language if possible...)

2) To what degree do laws regarding biking on roadways differ (by state, by county, by municipality/city)? For example, do I have to worry about different biking laws when traveling between towns, etc?

3) What kind of lawyer does one seek in the case of a bike accident where the car is at fault and causes injury/damage? One who specializes in car accidents? Or are there specialized bike-accident lawyers?

4) Where could I search for such lawyers in the case of such an accident? (sorry, never had to hire a lawyer before...)

Thanks in advance for any insight/answers you can provide here. Answers similarly enumerated according to question would be appreciated as well....