Old 11-19-13, 01:40 PM
Blind
Holy crip he's a crapple

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Looking for big and wide drop bars for large hands

Having recently picked up a new road bike, my older road bike I use to commute on feels off now. The biggest difference I feel is in the handlebars. The new bikes bars initially felt massively thick to me, but now I find I really prefer them as I have large hands (I'm 6'5"). My hands are a little too big for most XL sized gloves when skiing for example.

The new bike has whatever is stock on a 2012 trek madone 5.2, from what I can tell they are 46cm wide and are called the "Bontrager Race Blade VR-C, 31.8mm" but I can't find these in the bontrager catalog, they are alloy not carbon.

I have 3t prima ergo bars on my older bike. Is the easy solution to use thicker bar tape? Wrap a cork tape underneath the gel tape I have on them now? The brake levers feel and look about the same size to me (dura-ace 7700 on old, ultegra 6700 on new), it all seems to be size of the tubes under the tape as far as I can tell.

I realize this is worthless without pictures but I don't have very good shots of either cockpit, just side photo's.

new:

old:

Otherwise, are there any budget priced alloy bars that are similar to what came on my madone?