View Single Post
Old 11-19-13, 06:35 PM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2496 Post(s)
Liked 739 Times in 523 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
With respect, this is utter nonsense. While I don't use a mirror on a bike, it's patently ridiculous that glancing in a mirror from time to time increases your risk of hitting something up front.

Cars have had rearview mirrors since they were introduced on the Indianapolis speedway in 1911. Since then experienced drivers have come to accept them as a requirement, and truckers especially couldn't function without them.

Whether knowing that a car is coming up behind you on a bike would make any difference most of the time is debatable, and I agree probably not. But it can make a difference for cyclists riding in heavy urban traffic and needing to make maneuvers such as left turns. In any case though they aren't much help, they are not a hazard unless they break in a crash, and cause you 7 years of riding in the rain.
Only a NY'er could "respectfully" tell someone their POV is utter nonsense. I can say that, I am one. Only a NY'er could say something like "while I don't use a mirror on a bike... mirror use does not increase any risk... oh the irony. I use a mirror on a bike. I am not afraid of traffic. A cyclist that is afraid of traffic, and many are, will use that mirror to distraction. Its human nature. AFAIK its only glass mirrors that cause 7 years if bad luck if broken, I don't know of many (any?) bicycle mirrors that aren't polycarbonate these days. FWIW.

H