Old 11-21-13, 07:50 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,218 Times in 2,365 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
Snow will definitely pack up in the fenders, but it won't make a difference because the moving wheel always clears it's own path.
While the tire will clear its own path, it will only do so to the surface of the tire. Then it just rubs on the tire and acts like a giant spoon brake.

Originally Posted by ekso
I need to get a cheap bike for commuting in Montreal during the winter. It snows a lot, but streets also get cleaned quite quickly, and this lasts from December up until April at least. I’m between getting 1) a cheap used city bike, thin tires with fenders, or 2) going with a mountain bike, probably without fenders. What is most recommended?

I’m afraid the snow might get stuck on the fenders on the city bike. But that I might get extremely dirty with the mountain. I have descent astronaut clothing (plastic jacket/trousers), so in theory it shouldn’t be a problem.

Also, I’m quite big (1,88m, 6,16”), should I get a big bike as well? Or that makes it easier to fall from slippery roads and a smaller frame might be more appropriate for snowy roads?

Thanks in advance!
Let's start with your height. You are 1.9m or 6.17' tall. Double quotes are inches...see "This is Spinal Tap" and the Little people of Stone 'Enge sketch

If you are going to ride in snow, I'd suggest a mountain bike with a knobbed or studded tire. I would also suggest a fender system like this one

The front fork is an SKS Blade and mounts under the fork. There is a splash shield on the downtube. The rear fender(s) are an SKS snap on fender on the upper part and the lower fender is a piece of a Planet Bike fender that has been cut to fit and is mounted on a Minoura waterbottle holder. This is a little more elaborate than just bolting on a set of regular fenders but I have far more snow clearance than a normal fender system would give me. Even in very deep snow, I don't have snow packing in the fenders
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!